Happiness from Simple Things in Life

Happiness in defined as the state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. A very simple thing when defined yet so great that it can turn a peaceful community into a battlefield or a pen into a sword. All of us, definitely, live each day in pursuit of happiness. We are so much overwhelmed with myriads of desires that we tend to ignore the profound joy of simple things.

Each of us has different dreams, wants and plans in life. All of which could make us totally happy and contented. The issue here is, has anyone lived and attained true happiness and contentment? Maybe none, as we knew that as long as we live, we will always search for something that delights our hearts. Even a quest for success is synonymous to quest for happiness – at least for me.

Attaining our hearts’ desires to be happy is not an easy thing that can be obtained in just one blink of an eye. We are forced to take a stride but the roads are bumpy and at times, every step could be painful. These circumstances lead us into feeling the opposite – sadness, frustrations, annoyance, anxieties, all sorts of negative feelings.

Eventually, many of us tend to forget that true happiness and contentment is just around the corner. It is just a matter of state of mind but one has to make the decision to recognize it. No matter how chaotic things may seem to us, at home, at work, or with people around, if we are able to develop a positive outlook, happiness is just a way to go.

Just recently, I realized that seeing a very big lizard crawling at the gate of the zoo after his smooth escape or taking a candid photo of a friend can brighten up my day. Just the thought of silly things, reminiscing memorable memories while the traffic caught the bus on your way to work, rewarding yourself for a good daydream, humming a lullaby, these silly things can actually create a smiley mark in your heart. There is something that we can do to make a simple stuff special, and that is to give it a meaning.

Alright, so much of the superficial idea. Seriously, the best way to accept misfortunes, problems, and the like which are barriers of happiness is to look at the positive side of things. I once applied for a job and was very determined to start my career path on that company. When it was my turn to be interviewed, all of a sudden I started to share about my plans of taking a masters degree, working in a developing country, everything that came out veer away with the kind of job I was applying. I never got the job but in my thoughts I knew that I can have something better. Very soon after the incidence, I land in a job abroad.



If I only let myself mourn over the lose, I would have lost my self confidence and suffer from the agony of self pity. On the contrary, I chose to accept things with gladness and looking at the brighter side allowed me to fully enjoy life happily. We may have different stories but the idea is just the same I think.

Now, I don’t need to burn my eyebrows to the idea of achieving great things to find happiness. I can be happy by just walking in a park, getting a good night sleep, eating my favorite cookies and cream or reading a horoscope everyday. These are just simple things that we sometimes fail to enjoy and appreciate because we never thought that true happiness that’s deep from within our hearts is just around. It just takes a positive attitude coupled with simplicity in our way of life and appreciation of the beauty and meaning around us that we can reach the zenith of bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment